Saturday, February 11, 2012

Paul Martin's - Irvine

This review will be a short one due to a busy weekend.  So last night Cayla, several friends, and I went to Paul Martin's American Grill located in the Irvine Spectrum to kick off my birthday weekend.  This was to be birthday dinner #1 of 4 that I have in a row starting last night at Paul Martin's.  It's going to be a good weekend!  I like the ambiance and feel of this restaurant and bar very much.  It's what I would describe as Modern California.  We all met for drinks at the bar at 6:30 before out 7:15 reservation.  The bar was PACKED, but we managed to find standing room and eventually one seat at the bar.  I LOVE this bar.  This would be the first night any of us in the party had ever eat here, but I've been coming to this bar since it opened about five months ago.  The bar tenders are quick with your drinks and very knowledgeable about cocktails.  My favorite bartender is definitely Ryan.  Ryan personally specializes in prohibition era drinks, so they are all from scratch (he doesn't use premade mixes of any kind, and they are strong!  Last night my drink of choice was a Belvedere Gimlet served up and with a twist.  They were very good and made with lime juice that he squeezed right then and there.  Everyone in the party was happy with their cocktails and the service.
So at 7:15 we were seated for dinner.  The table started out by sharing an order of the Spinach Dip and Town Dock Calamari (fried calamari).  The table agreed that both were 'OK'.  I ordered the Braised Short Ribs.  It was salty and VERY 'OK'.  Cayla wanted a salad and to have chicken added to it.  When she asked the waiter he said they were out of chicken.  I thought it was very strange that they were "out" when she asked since they have chicken dishes on the menu.  It seemed like they just didn't want to accommodate the request.  Normally that would cause me to make an issue out of it with the server and manager, but Cayla told me not to say anything, so I complied and kept my mouth shut.  Everyone else also agreed that there meals were 'OK'. 

After dinner we returned to the bar to Ryan where he took good care of us for the rest of the evening.

I would absolutely recommend coming here for drinks at the bar before or after dinner after eating SOMEWHERE ELSE, but I will definitely not be returning for dinner.  The rest of the party last night agrees with me on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment