Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Harbor Grill - Dana Point



Saturday night Cayla and I met up with my parents for dinner at The Harbor Grill in Dana Point Harbor.  I've been eating here for most of my life and it's always a great experience!  This night was no exception. 

We had reservations at 7:00 that I made on Open Table and checked in right on time.  We wound up having to wait and weren't seated until 7:20 because several tables were sitting and not getting up after paying.  The restaurant had no control over this and we didn't blame them at all, but the manager INSISTED on buying the four of us a round of drinks while we waited and two appetizers once we were seated.  This is a great example of their commitment to EXCELLENT service!  Well done Harbor Grill!

To start we had the Fried Calamari and the Smoked Halibut with tarragon mustard mayonnaise.  The fried calamari was very good.  It was fried to a crisp, but not too crispy golden brown and seasoned with the perfect amount of salt.  Very good!  I am not much of a fish person, but everyone said the smoked halibut was very good, I didn't try it. 





For dinner I went with their 3 Course Prix-Fixe menu.  For the first course I went with their New England Clam Chowder.  Very good creamy chowder with a healthy portion of both clams and potatoes.  One of my favorite clam chowders out there!  For the main course I went with the Louisiana Style Barbequed Shrimp, my 'Usual' here.  These shrimp are AMAZING!  They are cooked on their mesquite grills, which are visible to the dining room through 3 large glass windows to the kitchen.  It's fun to be able to see them cooking back there!  The barbeque sauce is an amazing slightly sweet and slightly tangy barbeque sauce.  This is one of my favorite shrimp dishes of all time ANYWHERE!  For my side dish I went with the rice pilaf.  I always go with the rice pilaf here.  It's hard to describe what it tastes like.  It's light in flavor and VERY good.  Let me put it this way, this is the ONLY restaurant where I get the rice pilaf.  For the third course I went with the HOMEMADE Bread Pudding with Kentucky Bourbon Sauce.  WOW!!!  The desert comes out cut in a large cube covered in the sauce.  The bread pudding itself is a firm, yet soft mixture of the warm gooey pastry and raisins.  The sauce is what makes this dish without a doubt though!  It is sweet and has a slight kick from the flavor of the bourbon in it.  A big plus if you're a bourbon drinker like I am!  


Cayla had the fish special last night, Mongchong.  Mongchong is a Hawaiian white fish.  She said it was excellent.  Full of flavor and very tender.


My dad had the salmon.  He said it was very good.  I don't remember anything else about it.


My mom had the cheese burger.  I have had their cheeseburger in the past and can tell you from experience that this is a GREAT cheeseburger!  Always juicy and tender!  The mesquite grilling really comes out in the dish. 

The Harbor Grill is a restaurant with GREAT food and service.  I highly recommend it.  Also the fact that it's located in the harbor means that you can go to other places before or after that you can walk to.  Yesterday before dinner we all hit up Harpoon Henry's for drinks.  Two other good places in the harbor for drinks before dinner are Turks and Wind & Sea.

Has anyone been here before?  What was your experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment